From Granmichele the road continues to Caltagirone.
Caltagirone is the Citta Jacopea and the start of the Cammino di San Giacomo in Sicilia.
Etymologically, the name Caltagirone is derived from Arabic qalʿat al-jirār (قلعة الجرار) meaning ,castle of pottery jars’ underlining how far back the pottery tradition goes in this town. Numerous archaeological finds date back to the 2nd millennium BC. The area was then inhabited by Sicels.
In 1030 Arabs built a castle in Caltagirone to fend off attacks by the Byzantine general George Maniakes accompanied by Ligurian allies. Traces of Ligurian language still exist in the local dialect.
Under the Norman and Hohenstaufen rule Caltagirone flourished economically but regrettably it suffered a similar terrible fate as other neigbouring cities in the 1693 earthquake. Subsequent to the earthquake reconstruction is Siculo-Baroque style ensured and this contributed to Caltagirone’s status today as UNESCO World Heritage site. The main attractions of the city are the 142-step monumental Staircase of Santa Maria del Monte, built from 1608 in the old part of the town and the Church of St James the Elder.
From Caltagirone the road continues to Mirabella Mbaccari through San Michele following the .gpx route.
Practical Note: This being a larger town, one would find self-service launderettes, mini markets and an abundance of diners/restaurants.