Notre Dame Gate, Cottonera

XirCammini Logo

By XirCammini

min read

The Notre Dame Gate was historically known by many names, such as the Notre Dame de la Grace Gate, or Porta della Maria Vergine delle Grazie, or Cottonera Gate, Il-Mina ta’ Ħaż-Żabbar or Zabbar Gate, Bieb is-Sultan (meaning ‘King’s Gate”)

Construction work on the Cottonera lines began in 1670 and the Notre Dame Gate was built in 1675, designed either by Mederico Blondel or by Romano Carapecchia. It is in the Baroque style and served as the entrance to the Cottonera lines leading to Vittoriosa (Birgu), Cospicua (Bormla) and Senglea (Isla or Citta’ Invicta).

Situated at the highest point of the Cottonera area, the gate is located within the Notre Dame defence curtain, between the bastions of Notre Dame and St. James, facing the town of Żabbar.

It is currently used as the headquarters of the heritage organization Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna.